I’m a stand up comedian who has the fortune of travelling the United Kingdom on a regular basis. Occasionally this involves more time on my hands than I really should have, so a while ago I decided to start visiting football grounds whilst I was in town. Sometimes it’s before a gig, usually after, but having visited many stadiums as a fan, I wanted to visit them as a tourist. A quick photo outside, a wander around, then back to life.
I thought this may be of interest to people, and hence this little blog. I appreciate this is niche to say the least, but it serves as a nice way to document some fun travels.
To answer a couple of points raised on internet forums I should add:
1) This isn’t supposed to be funny.
2) Yes it would be nice to go while a game is on. Unfortunately my agent tends to not pay that much attention to Rochdale’s fixture list before booking me to play there.
3) This isn’t as part of any sort of 92 club or quest. So whatever I’ve done that “doesn’t count” don’t worry about. It’s purely a case of me visiting football grounds of the town I’m in.
4) I don’t choose what stadium I visit (generally). When I see in my diary “ooh, I’m in Manchester tomorrow”, I map out which ground is closer between City and United and visit that one. I don’t think “boo, United are shit, I might drive to Liverpool/Tottenham/Southampton first.”
5) If I haven’t covered your team yet, the odds are just that I’ve not played your town or city yet. Hell, I visited St James’ Park, Newcastle, first despite being a childhood Sunderland fan.